Sometimes the right words resonate so deeply within our souls that their echoes keep tugging at our mind’s eye, like a child unrelentingly grabbing onto and pulling us by a hand towards something, until we, frustrated and distracted, must give in and see what all the fuss is about. I found a quote months ago that did exactly that for me, and today I found myself looking for the source, yearning really for more of those instances of absolute identification with words written by a total stranger. What I discovered is a book I MUST must read, now, at this time in my life… because sometimes, the exactly right thing is brought to you presented in the form of a coincidence or a chance moment or a distracting childlike thought you can’t ignore, and so you have to accept it…and THAT turns out to be a truly defining moment in your life.
The following are quotes I found from The Asylum for Wayward Girls by Emilie Autumn.
1) “You,” he said, “are a terribly real thing in a terribly false world, and that, I believe, is why you are in so much pain.”
2) “Perfume was first created to mask the stench of foul and offensive odors…
Spices and bold flavorings were created to mask the taste of putrid and rotting meat…
What then was music created for?
Was it to drown out the voices of others, or the voices within ourselves?
I think I know.”
3) “It gives me strength to have somebody to fight for; I can never fight for myself, but, for others, I can kill.”
4) “And, what’s more, this ‘precious’ body, the very same that is hooted and honked at, demeaned both in daily life as well as in every existing form of media, harrassed, molested, raped, and, if all that wasn’t enough, is forever poked and prodded and weighed and constantly wrong for eating too much, eating too little, a million details which all point to the solitary girl, to EVERY solitary girl, and say: Destroy yourself.”
5) “I’m not stupid. I know exactly what’s going on, and I’m not fighting it. If I have to go through this, I will glean from it any small benefit I can receive. I will not fight this. Bring it on. Bring on the cure. Bring on the fucking happy. I’m committed.”